It’s been about two and a half months since we picked up and moved from Hawaii to Thailand back in June, and while we haven’t regretted our decision for a minute, there are some things that I definitely miss about the western world. Namely…
- Garbage cans on sidewalks
- Free, unlimited, potable tap water
- The feeling of jeans that are dried in a laundry machine, not on the arm of our leather couch
- Soft carpet to walk on when I wake up
- Reliable public transportation
- Paying a set price for things no matter the color of my skin/country of origin
- Regular, functional internet
Don’t get me wrong; there are a lot of things I love about Thailand that aren’t available in the states (delicious $1 dinner, anyone?). But as any long-term traveler knows, one of the side effects of being abroad can be a greater appreciation for the things you have back home.
If you’re an expat, is there anything you miss about home?